Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Culture, eroded by expats or...?

Culture. Ok here are my thoughts...

It doesn't matter how many expats are here now or continue to come to Cayman, it can't take my culture away from me. I am married to a British Expat and I am making damn sure that my children will know about my past and this counties past. It is one way for me to not only pass on my family gene pool but also my country's roots. We, as the older generation must ensure that these things are passed down. The expats can not take that from you or I. If we are too busy to teach our kids then that is our fault as teachers, parents, and as a society. We as Caymanians must ensure that this stays true. Please indulge me once again.

I have matured in what I think is the most crucial transition this Island and the world has ever seen - the information and technology era and a massive development and financial boom. I strongly feel that the greatest cultural cancer of this and every society is television & technology.

Ask any young Caymanian under the age of 25 years, and I can tell you that most of them have never danced a quadrille, had a gig, hunted crabs, picked mangos, played in the fogger, picked welks, had to go to church or Sunday school, had to say "yes sir" or "yes mam" and never called an adult by their first name etc.

I just hit my 40th year young. An age where I feel is mature enough to understand how the world works but not too old to understand the younger generation and although disappointed, understand that most societies have lost their younger generations to VH1, BET, MTV, Jerry Springer and Days of our Lives to name a few. Next add into the mix, the Internet, blog sites, (which every kid knows how to use much better than most of you that are currently reading this message) and sites such as MYspace.com (popular blog site) which has lots of Caymanians signed up who have many online "virtual" friends around the world. Most kids and young adults have no idea what it feels like to post a handwritten letter and get a response 2 weeks later. Oh and lets not forget Nintendo, XBOX and PlayStation. Are you going to tell your kid to go outside and play gig, climb a tree or play marbles? If you can understand this and agree, then Caymanians, we have to ask ourselves, are the expats responsible for that? I personally feel that most expats change their behaviour once they are here for any length of time. No expat can bring their "Big City" behaviour or mentality and survive ridicule from others who are part of this society.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on which side of the fence one sits, we live in an ever changing society and a even faster changing world. We can choose to accept the outside world or we can try and isolate ourselves from it. I personally think we have gone beyond trying to isolate ourselves. We should focus on adapting to the pace and try to curb our extreme population growth which has never been good for any country.

One major thing that I also know is a major part of our culture has been our compassion and fairness and we have never been accused of being racist or bigots. It disappoints me deeply that such words are now creeping into others vocabulary to describe our culture. We must take a closer look at ourselves Caymanians.

We would love to hear more about who we are, Caymanians as well as expats.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what I can I say. I'm seriously troubled by the way things are looking in Cayman.

I'm troubled by the comments by our elected leaders that have made the front page of the Caymanian Compass.

Geez, what a way to make our friends and neighbours who happen to be from somewhere else, feel comfortable. I thought we were supposed to be a hospitable people. Now we're telling many many people that we don't want them here anymore. Our elected leaders are not encouraging the people of Cayman to cling to their hospitable, friendly roots with these types of comments.

It seems to me that these figures that are being quoted are being pulled from out of thin air.

To comment on this particular post. In my humble opinion, television as you mentioned is perhaps one of the biggest influences on our young people.

Arthur

Anonymous said...

Cayman cutlture..

What is it? Well after reading the blog articles from Caymanian’s on what they think their culture is, I really don’t understand how expats are eroding it? Seems that you all think the same as the rest of the world, you enjoy eating your local (heavy) cake at grandmas, catching crabs, going fishing and believing you’re the hardest working culture on the planet. Sounds like just about any other culture spouting off….. So I do believe this whole argument about the erosion of culture is a complete farce and something the locals cling to as they don’t really have an argument for the current state of events. So thanks goes to Mr. Aiken for debunking the culture erosion theory.
I think where a big part of the problem arises is a change of cultural values over time. A significant culture change in Cayman comes from its neighbour…. Jamaica. This is only premised on my belief that caymans had at one point a “work ethic”, this is whats told to me so I can believe your past but not your present.
I get the feeling that many Caymanian’s are a bit tired of the lazy Jamaicans and their crimes. Most (not all) White expats can’t tell the difference between a Jamaican and a Caymanian. I’m really sorry to say that, but as a Canadian I also can’t understand when another foreigner can’t tell the difference between an American vs. a Canadian (what an insult to be called an American). I’m happy to say I have many caymanian friends and I can tell the difference quite easily (it took awhile though). I really hate to pick on Jamaica but I don’t think I’m far off when I say general public opinion thinks they are a lazy crime ridden society. I understand that’s a horrible stereotype but if I were to say Philippino’s are hard working immigrants I think you would agree. So when a white expat says “the locals are stupid, lazy and don’t want to work hard” I suspect we are in effect talking about Jamaican Caymanian’s or… their influence on Cayman. That said… I have had the privilege to work side by side with several Jamaicans who have held three jobs simultaneously and are very hard working, its just unfortunate we see the group as a whole. Again just to clarify if I were to say the Swiss are organized, punctual hard working people group you’d probably agree. If I said Canadians are honest, pleasant hard working people you’d probably agree. The fact that the majority consensus here is that Caymanian’s are lazy is not something that’s been made up, it’s not just one loudmouth expat with this opinion, it is unfortunately true. The rest of the world thinks Cayman nationals are lazy. You must remember my argument for lumping Caymanian’s and Jamaicans together when I say this. So I think the erosion of the Cayman culture is that your so called” hard work ethic” has gone and its likely gone due to the infiltration of Jamaican culture into Cayman. Just look at how fat and lazy your nation is! How can you tell me you work hard when your entire nation is at risk of a heart attack due to obesity. Cayman is completely reliant on the outside world; there is no local fish industry or sustaining farming community, no one works. Its hard medicine to swallow but your hard work ethic from the 1950’s is long gone and has been replaced by a fat obese lazy Cayman attitude that you deserve it all. I think the resentment comes from the fact that you realize this and you blame the white expat community for changing the way things were.
If I were to say Americans are loudmouths and arrogant, most people would agree, however were talking about 250 million people and in reality they are not all arrogant pricks. When we say Caymanian’s are a lazy fat nation were only talking about maybe 15,000 people and our perceptions aren’t really that far off. How to fix it?, how to get back your reputation that was so hard won and so easily lost.
Parenting ….. lead by example, if your to lazy to mow the lawn and you leave for work 15 minutes late and run your construction business while being a civic employee don’t you think your child will mirror those qualities?
In the end Cayman has to really decide what it is that’s bugging you and come up with a plan otherwise your going to see a mass exodus of non Jamaican expats going elsewhere. Were tired of hearing you’re a loving hard working nation but every day we read about how much you hate us and dislike us and want us removed from your country. After a few years of this it starts to sink in and the divide is evident and it hurts. What to do about it?, talk is good , action is better. Which action do you want ? Expats boarding a plane for good or a caymanians and expats working together to bring about some unity.

Anonymous said...

With regards to:
the Immigration Law 2003 (section 29),
Application to reside permanently in the Cayman Islands.
Connection with the islands.
I quote:
"22. Please give details of your involvement in community activities, particularly with respect to drug abuse prevention programmes, rehabilitation of offenders, or training and employment of Caymanians. Please also give details of participation in sports, arts, social and service clubs." (end quote)

So, expats are expected to be motivated to spend valuable free time to support the "community"?
It is perhaps fair to assume that the Board means "the Caymanian community" ...
(correct me if I am wrong, but expats are not supposed to need help ever, if they do they are just

simply "disposed" of ...)

Exactly how many hours/days/years would satisfy the Board?

But the Caymanian people are excercising their right to insult us daily (a soft expression).
Surely you can not have such high expectations from people you treat as "disposable assets".
Surely you don't want to expose your beloved children, and let them be influenced by foreign cultures.
(And what if some of us are "gay"!)

From my point of view, THE immigration board should replace this regulation without delay and insist that all candidates for permanent residency, in order to stand a chance, should provide evidence that they have never participated in any community activity which could have influenced the Caymanian offspring.

A list of organisations and charity's that organise or are involved in organising such activities should be provided:

- on arrival in the country, with a clear warning that any involvement, assistance or contribution with the listed organisations will be detrimental to their continued permission to reside in the country);

- when applying for permanent residence, at that time the list should be formatted in such way
that space is provided for name and signature of the responsibles of those organisations, stating that you (and/or any of your dependents) have not committed the crime of having been involved, assisted or contributed to their organisation since taking up residence.

Too bad if the new regulation would be implemented retroactive of course, as almost every expat will see their chances of successful applying reduced to nihil.

I am sure that with such regulation in place, the Caymanian culture, history and heritage will be protected forever.

What do you all think?

Anonymous said...

Local radio ...

Hereby I would like to suggest that all businesses consider replacing the music with switching on the local radio stations.
Which one? Take your pick, all are good and worthy of listening to.

As often reported in the local media, the "tourists" want local culture, local music and are asking for "real Caymanians".

So, this certainly would give them just that.

Can you imagine, tourists and locals alike, enjoying a local delicacy at one of the many restaurants, or while shopping, listening to local music, news, "Talk Today", "Straight Talk", CrossTalk etc.
Food for thought, truly unique and very Caymanian.

And I guess it would be possible to air the local radio's at the Cruise ship terminal too?

The Caymanian population (and radio stations) would no doubt be delighted to attract such a diverse and international audience.
The local culture on the air for all to enjoy!
The talk of the world!

Anonymous said...

Ummm... Jamaicans are lazy? Crime-ridden society, yes... it's very obvious. This is often typical of a society that is burdened with poverty, but to say that Jamaicans are lazy shocks me.

A nationality that does the most labour-intensive work here in Cayman... lazy?

A nationality that stepped up to the plate and got their hands dirty after Ivan, ESPECIALLY, when everybody else were running away... lazy? Now which nationality's government sent planes for them? Hmmmm

Which nationality (predominantly) did you see getting tarred by the sun repairing our roofs after Ivan?... Lazy?

No offense, but I have never heard of anybody calling Jamaicans lazy before. That generalization is new to me.